Skip to main content Sign In

Saint Paul College A Community & Technical College

​Resources for Students Caring for Children

Students who are pregnant, parenting, or caring for children are often looking for resources to help them and their young people be successful while they are enrolled at Saint Paul College. Below you will find a variety of information about child care, supportive services at the college, and resources in the community.

Child Care and Early Learning Resources

Planning for Child Care

Parent Aware is the State of Minnesota’s quality rating and improvement system for childcare providers. Providers can be trained and evaluated through the system and given a star rating which helps people looking for childcare identify programs that use research-based practices to prepare children for school and life. It’s a great online resource to use to find quality early education programs and child care for college students in St. Paul.

Helpful Guides from Parent Aware (available in English, Spanish, Somali, and Hmong):

Types of Certifications and Accreditations for Providers
  • Minnesota Department of Human Services Licensing: Ensures that centers and in-home childcare providers meet basic health and safety regulations. Learn more.
  • Parent Aware Star Ratings: Parent Aware rates providers out of four stars based on the quality of the programming, the training of the staff, and how well children are prepared for kindergarten. Learn more.
  • National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Accreditation: Similar to Parent Aware, NAEYC ensures that providers use high-quality, research-based education and gives them support for continuous quality-improvement. Learn more.
Local Early Childhood Education Providers
  • YWCA Children’s Center at the Ronald M. Hubbs Center for Lifelong Learning: located near the corner of University Avenue and Lexington Parkway in Saint Paul. The Children’s Center is NAEYC accredited with a 4-Star Parent Aware rating and offers full-time, part-time, and half-day care. There are also YWCA Centers in Minneapolis in Downtown, Midtown, and Phillips.
  • Hallie Q. Brown Early Learning Center: located in the Hallie Q. Brown Community Center, near Marshall Avenue and Dale Street in Saint Paul. The Hallie Q. Brown Child Early Learning Center (ELC) is NAEYC accredited and 4-Star Parent Aware Rated. The program provides preschool education and childcare for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. Safe, affordable childcare is provided on a sliding fee scale for working parents and community residents.
  • Head Start & Early Head Start: located near the corner of University Avenue and Dale Street in Saint Paul. Early Head Start provides in-home support services for pregnant individuals, infants and toddlers up to age three. At 16-months children can begin a center-based program. From ages 3 to 5 years old children can join the pre-school program called Head Start. The center-based programs are 4-Star Parent Aware Rated. These programs are available at no-cost to families in Ramsey County who are income-eligible, providing foster care, or experiencing homelessness. Many families are eligible for bus transportation.
  • Cathedral Hill Montessori School: located at the corner of Dayton Avenue and N Farrington Street in Saint Paul, just blocks from campus. Cathedral Hill Montessori School is 4-Star rated by Parent Aware, accepts CCAP from Ramsey County, and offers financial aid to qualifying families.

Paying for Child Care

Childcare can be expensive and preparing to pay for it can be over whelming. There are resources available to help pay for childcare.

County and State Resources
  • Think Small provides resources and referrals for families looking for childcare, early learning programs and/or schools. Resources include how to find the right program, ways to help pay for it, and how to know if it’s a high-quality program. They provide extra support to families with children with special needs, military families and have multi-lingual services.
  • Bridge to Benefits is a Children’s Defense Fund-Minnesota project that helps families become economically stable and improve child outcomes. They help families find out if they are eligible for various public programs such as Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare, Advanced Premium Tax Credits, Child Care Assistance, Early Learning Scholarships, Energy Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, School Meal Program, Women, Infants and Children Program, Earned Income Tax Credit and Working Family Credit. More information about Child Care Assistance
Saint Paul College Resources
  • Minnesota Child Care Grant is for students who are Minnesota residents, have children 12 and under (14 and under, if disabled), have financial need and have child care expenses. Recipients must not be receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) assistance. Students who have received an Award Letter can download the Minnesota Child Care Grant or pick up an application at the One Stop, Room 1300.
  • Saint Paul College Emergency Fund allow students to apply for up to $500 each semester. The money cannot be used for tuition, but can be used for child care, transportation, housing, medical bills, etc. To sign up go to the application, log in, and fill it out. It is recommended that you connect with the Title IX Coordinator prior to completing the application to assist you and provide a reference.

The Rights of Students who are Pregnant, Parenting, or Caregivers

How to Get Support for Pregnancy and Postpartum

Step 1: Obtain appropriate documentation of your pregnancy from your doctor/medical care professional (see below for details)

Step 2: Schedule an appointment with the Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities/Title IX Coordinator by calling 651.846.1357 or emailing Bring your documentation to the meeting and discuss what support you may need to be implemented during/after your pregnancy. Having course syllabi available can be helpful too for planning!

Step 3: After your meeting, communicate with your faculty about what you will miss in class, and what support you need. It’s encouraged that you keep your faculty in the loop as time goes on – and cc’ing the Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities/Title IX Coordinator helps too!

Step 4: Contact your faculty if you are experiencing any problems with the supports. If you need further assistance beyond that, contact the Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities/Title IX Coordinator.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Title IX? Title IX is a federal law that makes sure schools do not discriminate based on gender. It provides support for students who have experienced gender-based violence and/or who are pregnant.
  • If I’m pregnant or recently gave birth, what kind of support is available? Support can include: excused absences, flexible due dates or additional time on assignments, providing larger desks, allowance to sit or stand, etc. In some cases, courses can be switched to online versions of the same course if available.
  • Are there limits to Title IX support? Yes. We cannot change core concepts or requirements of the class, not change the fundamental learning outcomes and assessments. You will still need to complete all of the work. We also cannot give you back lost instruction time.
  • Do I need documentation to get support from the Title IX Office for pregnancy or recovery? Yes - a letter from your doctor is required for supports through the Title IX Office.
  • How long do supports last after I’ve given birth? Supports technically last until the end of your documentation from your doctor. Typically doctors will write their notes like, “Please give ______ 4-6 weeks for recovery.” However, the school recognizes that recovery and adjustment goes beyond just physical recovery. Some supports can continue beyond that period, but only in agreement with the faculty, and they may be significantly more limited.
  • When comes to pregnancy or parenting, what situations qualify for Title IX support besides childbirth? If the support is related to your child or pregnancy, and there’s a doctor’s note provided, that would qualify. Some examples may include: complications that require hospitalization or doctor visits, order of bedrest, serious baby illness or injury.
  • Is there a private place on campus for me to care for my infant?
    The lactation room (2166) is located on the 2nd floor in the East tower. It is designed to be used infant feeding, nursing, breastfeeding, chestfeeding, or pumping. It is a comfortable, private space with a sink, microwave, cozy chair, refrigerator, and electrical source. Participants can complete an agreement at​ to get badge access for the semester.
  • Are there changing tables on campus? Changing tables are available in several first floor bathrooms. They are in both the men’s and women’s bathrooms across from Room 1512 near the West Entrance and in the all-gender restrooms located near the City View Café (cafeteria).

Caring for your Developing Child

Most parents and caregivers pay close attention to the development of the children in their lives. It can be joyful to watch them grow but sometimes it’s difficult to know what to expect and what resources to trust. Families come in all shapes and sizes with caregivers of all types. Regardless of what your family looks like, the resources below will help you understand your young person’s development, offer resources, and connect you with support.

  • Help Me Grow is Minnesota’s Early Intervention Program. This program provides resources for families to understand developmental milestones and learn if there are concerns. This helps families take the lead in seeking additional support or referring their child for a comprehensive, confidential screening or evaluation at no cost.
  • Zero to Three - Early Connections Last a Lifetime offers resources for parents and caregiver of infants and toddlers to strengthen their caregiving skills, especially around difficult topics like disciple and setting limits, and reinforce their child’s learning.
  • Head Start and Early Head Start provides child and family development program for eligible families living in Ramsey County. This can include home-visiting, caregiver support, and opportunities to meet other families caring for young children. These services are free to eligible families.
  • Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) is a program of Saint Paul Public Schools that offers parents and caregivers hands-on learning experiences. When children are young, kids and adults learn together and as children grow some activities will be separate. All ECFE classes are taught by licensed early childhood teachers and parent educators. Classes are for families with children from newborn to kindergarten age and can be an opportunity to meet other families with young children. This program is available on sliding fee scale. Fees may be waived for families unable to pay.
  • Healthy Children is a resource site from the American Academy of Pediatrics. This is a great place to learn about developmental milestones, medical issues affecting children of all ages, and search for medically accurate, up-to-date information.
  • Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) of Ramsey County are routine health checkups for youth (age 0-21) on Medical Assistance that take place at their regular medical and dental clinic. This program can help families find a medical and dental clinic, schedule appointments, arrange transportation or an interpreter, navigate health insurance, access benefits like gift cards and car seats, and understand what happens at a checkup and how to prepare children.

Learning and Playing at Home

Playing and learning together can help keep your little one occupied and prepare them for school.

Preparing for your Child’s Future

As a college student you might be thinking about how you can prepare your young person for their own college career, even if it’s a long way off!

  • College Bound: Saint Paul College Savings Account provides all children living in Saint Paul born on or after January 1, 2020 with a $50 college savings account. Parents and caregivers can add more money to their child’s account by participating in activities and staying engaged.
  • Minnesota College Savings Plan is a state-sponsored, tax-advantaged 529 college savings plan that’s helping families and individuals plan for the cost of education. It’s available to any citizen or taxpayer. And just about anyone can help contribute including Grandparents, other family members and friends.
One Click Away From Your Future
Visit Apply Request Info